Sunday, December 7, 2008

First Weekend in Perth!

First Week end in Perth was very relaxing!

Saturday 6th December – Well I eventually dragged myself out of bed at around 10am in the morning. I was supposed to get to a bank but decided my sleep was more important. One issue here is that most branches of the banks are closed on Saturdays and therefore there are only a handful that are open for business and only from 9-12am. Anyway thought I would venture out and try the public transport. I am very lucky that at the apartment there is a bus stop just outside so I do not have to walk to far to catch a bus. So looked on the internet for the scheduled time. I took the bus to the local shopping centre i.e. Centro Galleria which also happens to be where one of the main bus depots are for the East of Perth, so I have figured that as long as I can get to this bus station from anywhere else I will always know how to get home. Actually it is all quite easy once you work it out. Anyway had a wonder around the shopping centre – nothing very excited after being in Singapore, but yip all the usual available. I must say everyone here is extremely friendly – in fact sometimes I think “What do you want” as they are all so nice. Maybe I just have a very South African culture built in me...... Even the bus drivers are friendly – there are signs everywhere stating that you should always have the correct change for the bus ride and I was so worried that the bus driver would shout at me (like in the UK they just give you such a mean look), nope all have their friendly faces on and more than willing to give you change. So another successful day after all.

Sunday 7th December – Okay I decided to try out another venture and that is to get to a beach somehow. After doing my washing and cleaning of the apartment (yip – I know you must all be wondering – WHAT! But hey I have to do it and it is not so bad as it is still only me!) I searched on the internet for the closest beach and then looked for the best bus route. I only had to take two buses to get there so all in all not so bad. I decided on Scarborough beach which is mainly a surfing beach. The beach was very clean with lots of grass areas as well as the beach area. There were plenty of surfers, wind surfers and kite surfers out and about as it was quite windy. I had a walk up and down the beach, then stopped at the local fish and chips shop for a bite to eat before heading home (Jackie – nothing like the Fish ‘n Chippa!). The bus trip was great as once again I got a chance to get a feeling for the various areas. There are some areas that I feel stopped in time around 1970’s at least and then some really great areas) Some areas are very much like the council housing in the UK were people do not look after their homes or gardens and the other areas where the houses are very neat and tidy but the house takes over the whole property (with no garden) and then areas similar to home. So once I find a good school for the kids I will then look for a house to stay in but this will only happen next year when I am back from SA. Oh and when I got back I was walking down the roads around 7:00pm on Sunday night and I did not feel intimated at all (Careful of course but not intimated!), and that to me is the best felling ever that I am free to walk where I want. I am truly getting all my exercise with all the walking I am doing – don’t think I have walked this much in years!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice to read all about what you have been doing!

but, when are you going to do some actual WORK? i thought you had to start on 1 dec in stead of 1 jan, because you were needed so urgently?... :-)

missin' you down here...